Sven Meeder, Participant
University of Utrecht
Janskerkhof 13, Janskerkhof 13
+31 6 43946561
External Website Address:
Date/Place of birth:
- 28-01-1978, Vianen (the Netherlands)
- 2006-2010 PhD-degree Medieval History, University of Cambridge
- Supervisor: Prof. Rosamond McKitterick
- PhD-thesis: The spread and reception of Hiberno-Latin scholarship on the Continent in the eighth and ninth centuries
- 2005-2006 MPhil-degree Medieval History, University of Cambridge (distinguished performance)
- MPhil-thesis: The spread and reception of the Collectio canonum Hibernensis on the Continent before the tenth century
- 1998-2003 MA-degree Celtic Studiesfrom the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands (including study at the National University of Ireland, Galway, in 2001
- 1997-2003 MA-degree (with honours) History from the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands, specialisation Medieval History
- MA-thesis: ‘Huisque in calicem’ (Water in the chalice): Liturgy and society in the early medieval Irish Stowe Missal
- 2009-2010 Teacher of Latin at Haarlemmermeerlyceum, Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
- 2009 Teacher of Latin and Greek at Alkwin Kollege, Uithoorn, the Netherlands
- 2007-2008 Supervisor undergraduate paper 4 (Part I) at the Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic ‘The Gaelic-speaking peoples from the fourth century to the twelfth’, University of Cambridge.
- 2007 Teaching assistant to Dr Teresa Webber forCodicology paper for MPhil course Medieval History, Department of History, University of Cambridge.
- - Teacher of Latin and Antique Culture at Alkwin Kollege, Uithoorn, the Netherlands.
- 2005 Research assistant to Dr Bart Jaski on the project: ‘Immurgu: Insular Medieval Manuscripts Reproduction Guide University of Utrecht’.
Grants, honours etc:
- 2005-2010 Scholar of Trinity College, Cambridge (under External Research Studentship).
- 2005-2010 Honorary Scholar of the Cambridge European Trust (including Cambridge European Trust Book Prize for 2005-2008).
- 2005-2008 Everhard Verheyden Dutch Prize, Trinity College, Cambridge (awarded on 3 occasions)
- 2007 Gaillard Lapsley Essay Prize (Trinity College, Cambridge) for the essay ‘Unity and diversity in the Carolingian reform efforts: a reassessment of the aims’.
- 2005 Blackwell-Early Medieval Europe Essay Prize for volume 13, for the article ‘The early Irish Stowe Missal’s destination and function’.
Scholarship and education in the early Middle Ages; Medieval palaeography and codicology; Cultural and intellectual interplay between the British Isles and the European mainland; Celtic History; Liturgy and society
- Meeder, Sven, ‘The Irish foundations and the Carolingian world’, Settimane di Studio del Centro Italiano di Studi sull’Alto Medioevo 57 (2010), pp. 467-93.
- Meeder, Sven, ‘The Liber ex lege Moysi: notes and text’, Journal of Medieval Latin 19 (2009), pp. 173-218.
- Meeder, Sven, ‘Defining doctrine in the Carolingian period: The contents and context of Cambridge, Pembroke College, MS 108’, Transactions of the Cambridge Bibliographical Society 13/2 (2005 – published 2008), pp. 133-51.
- Meeder, Sven, ‘The early Irish Stowe Missal’s destination and function’, Early Medieval Europe 13 (2005), pp. 179-94.